Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Project: Closet Makeover - the full reveal

Well our master closet is done! It didn't all go according to plan, but the end result is amazing. I am so happy with how everything turned out. It is a huge improvement from what we had before.

I mentioned in my weekend recap that the original systems we purchased did not work out. They looked great, but they weren't made very well. They also were impossible to install. We abandoned ship quickly and sought out an alternative. We found these great closet kits at Lowes and they claimed to be easily installed in almost no time. We researched them online and saw that they got 5 star reviews on every site we found them on. They were also $100 cheaper than the original systems we bought so we thought it was a win-win.

We brought them home and they were put up in a couple of hours. They were extremely easy to install and they are very sturdy. I love that you can pretty much configure them any way you want. There are a ton of options and it required no cutting at all. I ended up with double hanging bars and a long hanging bar with shelves in the middle on my side. Michael's side has more shelves and double hanging bars. It is perfect for what we need and we still have a ton of free space. I did buy a few additional accessories that didn't come with the system. I bought 2 extra shoe shelves, 4 just were not enough! I also bought a belt rack to hang my belts and scarves.

I would absolutely buy these systems again. If we didn't have to paint the closet, it would have been completed in one day. Honestly, the most time consuming part was taking everything out, sorting and purging old items and putting everything back. I also made it harder on myself because I decided that I wanted all new, matching hangers. So everything I was planning on keeping had to be re-hung before it could be put away. It was a pain, but I love the look in the end. By the way, do any of you need plastic hangers? I have hundreds of them that I'm willing to give you!

Enough talking, let's get to the pictures already!

We all remember how pathetic it looked before, but here is a refresher.



And now, the after!



My stuff is on this side. Behind the door I have my shirts on top and skirts and pants on the bottom.

The other half of my side. I have long hanging on the end for all of my dresses and shelves in the middle.

I got this handy belt and scarf hanger that pulls in and out.

On these shelves I have my tank tops, t-shirts and cardigans for summer. My fall/winter tees and sweaters are on the top shelf in the bins. I will switch them out when the seasons change.

This side is mostly Michael's side, HA! All of his shirts are on the top, I have my camisoles and jackets below.

We still have lots of open space if we need it.

I had some jewelry overflow from my jewelry boxes so I found this bracelet holder and a holder for all of my headbands.

My little sitting bench that houses all of my tote bags. My purse collection is in the silver bin on the floor.

The new light might be my favorite part, I love it!

Project cost breakdown and links:
Paint and Supplies - $100
2 Rubbermaid Custom Closet Kits from Lowes - $352
1 Rubbermaid Belt Rack from Lowes - $18
1 Rubbermaid Shoe Shelves Kit from Lowes - $25
350 No Slip Velvet Hangers from Amazon - $210
New light fixture from Lowes -$89

Total Project Cost: $ 794

It was totally worth every penny. It could have been cheaper if I didn't get all new hangers, but I'm really glad I got them. I only wish that we would have done this 4 years ago when we moved in! The only other thing that I might add is a mirror on the column in the back. We'll see if I can find something I like.

1 comment: