Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

The end of an era


For the past 14 years I have loved Harry Potter and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was a sophmore in high school when the first book came out. I was completely enthralled from the very beginning. The story about "the boy who lived," took the whole world by storm. To date the books have sold almost 500 million copies. Whenever the latest book would come out, I would buy it and finish it the same day, even the 759 page book 7. I love how J.K. Rowlings' writing draws you in and her incredible attention to detail just paints the pictures in your head. It still amazes me that one person could come up with a story with so many intricate details and create a whole new world. She deserves every success that has come her way.

From Platform 9 ¾ to Quidditch to that trusty old Invisibility Cloak, I love it all. But they say that all good things must come to an end, and so I regrettably find myself here – Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - the final installment in the Harry Potter franchise, a movie that I was both beyond excited about and dreading all at the same time. The movie didn't disappoint and was a fitting end to this brilliant story. I can't wait to see it again.

I have read the books so many times and when they all come out digitally in the Fall, I will be buying them and reading them all over again. It makes me so sad there won't be anything new from the world of Harry Potter. No new books to read or movies to see anymore. The only thing that I have to look forward to is sharing these books with our future children. I can't wait to read them book by book and watch each movie that goes along with it. I know these stories can stand the test of time, no matter how many generations come along.

So even though it is sad that it's all over, Dumbledore once said, "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remember to turn on the light."

No comments:

Post a Comment