Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Day 9 - Christmas Traditions


It's been a lot of fun this Christmas season to think about what it will be like next year when Baby E is here. It's crazy to think that he will be 7 months old! Growing up my family had so many fun Christmas traditions. I can't wait to pass them down to our little boy. I also think it will be fun to start some new ones in our little family. These are the traditions I'd like to start with Baby E next year.

Christmas Book Countdown
This is a different take on a traditional advent calendar. Each day leading up to Christmas, Baby E would get to open a new book. I don't know that I would do all Christmas books but I just think this is a really cute way to expand his library and do something fun every day leading up to Christmas. I will definitely be checking out the clearance Christmas books after the season this year!

New Christmas PJ's
Baby E has to get new Christmas PJ's every year, right? He'll get to open them on Christmas Eve. This way he'll always get to open something a little early and he'll always look festive on Christmas morning!

Personalized ornament & ornament of choosing
Ornaments have always been a big deal in my family. You've seen my parents tree, it's covered solid! Growing up, each year we'd always get an ornament that represented us that year. Whether it was sports or Barbie or a movie we really liked, we always got something to remember that year by. I'd like to do the same thing for Baby E. The first couple of years I will most likely choose for him, but as he gets older, he'll get to go to Hallmark and choose for himself. I will also get him a personalized ornament with his name and year on it every year.

Elf on a shelf
This is a recent craze and I think it's really cute. Basically the back story is that the elf is sent by Santa to watch little boys and girls starting on December 1 to see who's going to be on the nice or naughty list. Each night, after the family goes to bed, the elf uses his magical Christmas powers to fly back to the North Pole. Once there, the elf will make his or her daily report to Santa. Each day the elf is in a new spot and you have to find him. It will probably be a couple Christmas' before we will get to start this tradition with Baby E but I think it will be really fun!

Santa stockings
Growing up my sister and I always had 2 Christmas stockings. One of them would hang on the mantel or staircase and the other one would magically appear Christmas morning. This was known as our Santa stocking. It was always hanging on our bed posts in our room filled by Santa when we woke up Christmas Day. It was always so much fun waking up and having the first thing I'd see be a stocking jammed packed with little gifts from Santa. I knew Santa came! It made me think he had been in my room the night before while I slept. When we woke up we would crawl into my parents bed and open all of our stocking stuffers from Santa before we went downstairs to open all our other gifts. I can't wait to carry on the same tradition for Baby E and see how excited he gets just like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment