Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

25 Days of Christmas: Day 19 - Christmas Traditions


With this being Ethan's first Christmas, I want to carry on and create traditions for our family. I have such amazing memories from my childhood at Christmastime, I want the same for him. Even though he's little this year we can still start many of these traditions. 

Here are the traditions we are starting this year:

Christmas ornaments
Each year Ethan will get new Christmas ornaments - 1 from a Hallmark series, 1 of his choosing and 1 that I want for my memories. This year we started a Mickey series from Hallmark for him so I look forward to continuing that series for him and he will be able to pick out his own ornament next year which will be fun!



Family Ornament
In addition to buying new ornaments every year, another tradition we are starting this year is creating a family ornament together. Each year we will come up with a different idea and craft an ornament to represent all of us on one ornament. This year we made reindeer thumbprints!

Santa bag
This is a new tradition we are starting. All of Ethan's presents from Santa will be delivered in this Santa bag from Pottery Barn. I think it will be so much fun as he gets older and understands more to see that bag of toys delivered on Christmas morning!

Santa bucket
Growing up I had 2 stockings - 1 that stayed on the mantle and 1 that was delivered in my bedroom from Santa on Christmas Eve. It was one of my favorite things I remember about Christmastime as a child. I was so excited to wake up on Christmas morning and see that stocking hanging from my bed filled with special treats from Santa! I've decided to pass that tradition on to Ethan as well, I've just changed the vessel. You're so limited space-wise with the stocking so I found this bucket from a seller on Etsy. We always opened our stockings in my parent's bed to start Christmas morning and I'd like to do the same. I think Ethan is pretty excited about this tradition too!

Christmas Eve
Another new tradition I want to start is to let Ethan open one present on Christmas Eve and it will be new Christmas pajamas. After opening his new pajamas we will get him changed and read him the Night Before Christmas before bed. His pajamas are wrapped and ready to go under the tree, but of course we have a couple of other pairs we've started wearing already!

Elf on the Shelf
This is a tradition I can't wait to introduce Ethan to, but it will probably be another year or two before he's really into it.

Polar Express Train Ride
All of the train stations around here do a Polar Express Train ride where they read the Polar Express book and you travel to the "North Pole" and meet Santa. This is another tradition we won't be starting until next year because Ethan is still too young. I know that he is going to love it though because we've already seen this year that he absolutely loves trains!

No comments:

Post a Comment