Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Family Favorite Recipe: Ice Cream Sundae Cake


I know Fall is coming and ice cream desserts are making way for pies and caramel apples but this ice cream cake is too yummy not to share. Growing up, I hated cake. Even now it's still not my favorite thing unless it's really moist with amazing frosting, ha! So for my birthday my Mom always made me an ice cream cake. This recipe is her own creation and it's amazing. I was mentioning to Michael the other day how I really had a taste for it and he mentioned he had never had it. I still can't believe in the 8 years we've been together that neither my Mom or I have made it, so I knew it was time! It's super easy to put together and the results are delicious.

Ingredients
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
Hot fudge
Cool Whip (thawed)
Nuts (optional)
Maraschino Cherries (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Melt stick of butter
3. Pour your graham cracker crumbs into an 8x8 pan
4. Gradually add melted butter to the graham cracker crumbs and stir (you might not need all the butter)
5. Once all of the graham mixture is wet and can be pressed to the pan, stop adding butter.
6. Use a piece of wax paper or a heavy glass to press the mixture evenly across the pan
7. Bake crust for 10 minutes
8. While the crust is baking, remove ice cream from freezer to soften
9. Once the crust is a golden brown, remove from oven


10. Slice the ice cream and place into the 8x8 pan until the crust is completely cover, smooth ice cream with a spatula


11. Warm the hot fudge so it's not hot, but spreadable
12. Pour as much or as little hot fudge as you want over the ice cream and spread, things will start to get a little messy with the melting ice cream but it doesn't matter


13. Top the hot fudge with a thick layer of cool whip


14. Sprinkle with nuts and place cherries on top if desired (Michael doesn't like cherries, so we just did nuts)


15. Freeze for at least 4 - 6 hours before serving
16. Enjoy!

1 comment: